Saturday, November 24, 2012

Back from the Abyss: CTN 2012

Wow, it's been forever since I made a post. I Just got back from CTN this last weekend. I'm going to do my best to start updating this blog more because I really need to get in the habit of drawing and developing my skill every day. I realized this past weekend that I'm not at the skill level I need to be at AND I don't work enough on a consistent basis to improve to level I want to reach.

Here are my personal take-aways from CTN 2012:

  • Invest in a Cintiq
  • Make a unique short film, especially if you want to stand out
  • Work on your branding
  • Draw more. Draw everyday.
  • Be more observant (for acting in animation)
  • Have more acting in my animation reel
  • Have a separate 2D and 3D animation reel 
    • some studios will turn you away if you only have 2D
  • Start applying now for jobs and internships
  • Don’t be afraid to show your work to anybody. Network as much as possible.
Glen Keane doing a demo at CTN

Brittney Lee doing a demo at CTN

Fix it Felix Jr at CTN

The machine actually looked old and worn

 I went to several panels at CTN. This one in particular, had several personal impacts on me. Here are some take-aways from a lecture called "Being a Professional Student" given by Ty Carter:



  • Don’t become a complete nerd, keep at least part of your social life
  • Act, don’t react
    • Always be proactive
    • Don’t act like you’re being forced to do something
    • Don’t wait to do things at the last minute
  • Organize yourself  before you make your portfolio
    • Get your life to the point where you’re at peace
    • If you organize, you’ll be ahead of everyone else
  • Dig deep and find out what you believe in, what inspires you
  • Activity vs. Efficacy: don’t waste your energy walking in place. Go somewhere!
  • Pay attention to how you use your time
  • Publicity pays off
    • Make yourself (and your work) look more important than you actually are
  • If you think you’re a student, you’ll be stuck as a student
    • Be a pro today, that’s all you have to do
  • Be a little bit selfish
    • Sometimes you’ll have to be a bit cut throat to get the job
    • Do things for you
    • Put yourself out there
    • Make some sacrifices
 



1 comment:

  1. It was great meeting you at CTN last year! Im am now subscribed to your blog, goodluck in 2013

    ReplyDelete